Sunday 9 February 2014

CCR







Recently, I happen to be listening to the radio and a familiar tune was playing, “Have you ever seen the rain?”. I was thinking to myself, I must document this because I used to be hooked on this song. Yes, it was a long time ago, and they were a short-lived band. Creedence Clearwater Revival or CCR barely survived 6 years actively, which is sad because they were really good. Most people from Generation Y may not have heard of CCR. The name CCR is quite catchy. According, to Stu Cook in an interview “Creedence is someone’s name, Clearwater is the new ecological attitude and Revival refers to personal revival”. However, amusingly, when I was listening to their songs, I thought Creedence came from the word creed meaning some kind of principle they live by, Clearwater a town in Texas where they came from and Revival signified their struggle to success. How wrong and naive I was.  


So, what’s so special about their songs?. For me, first and foremost, its simplicity. Most of the songs comprised of only a few chords and some only three. The lyrics are simple and easy to sing along. There’s a blend of blues and rock and roll which makes their tunes more lively and a presence of the deep South. 


I’ve been listening more to them these days from my old collection and hope more radio stations would continue to air their songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment